Undinian Daren Frankel was in the Men’s Heavyweight Eight that won the silver medal at the Under 23 World Rowing Championships in Linz, Austria. After a challenging start to the regatta that required a trip through the repechage in order to make the final, Daren and his teammates nearly pulled off the win, finishing second place for the silver medal. Daren, who recently graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, will be our featured speaker at the August 15th club dinner.
Undinian Oliver Ingram and his Lightweight Mens’s Quad advanced to the final of the U23 World Championships and had an impressive 6th place finish. It was the best U23 U.S. finish in the event since 2006.
Congratulations to Daren and Oliver on their accomplishments!
The Undine athletes had a very strong showing last weekend in Camden for the Club Nationals and demonstrated real Undine Spirit. The highlights of the regatta include the following:
- Mens Intermediate 2X, Silver Medal, R.J. Schilgen, Robert Wallace
- Mens Intermediate Ltwt. 1X, Bronze Medal, John Haines
- Mens Senior Ltwt. 4X, 3rd place, Joe Cipolla, Mike Sciblo, Corey Brown, John Haines
- Womens Intermediate Ltwt. 4X, Bronze Medal, Liz Staub, Jenn Sager (Vesper), Victor Mather (Penn AC), Katie Brown
- Womens Senior 1X, Silver Medal, Kate McFetridge
- Mens Intermediate Ltwt. 2X, Silver Medal, Joe Cipolla, John Haines
- Womens Open 1X Dash, Gold Medal, Kate McFetridge
- Womens Intermediate 4X, 6th place, Shannon Macika, Caroline Carney, Kendall Chapin, Morgan McMullen
- Mens Intermediate 4X, 6th place, Joey Quaid, Sean McBride, Robert Wallace, R.J. Schilgen
- Mens Senior Ltwt. 1X, 6th place, Mike Sciblo
Well done, Undine!
Undinian Andy Quinn qualified for the World Rowing Championship by stroking a composite crew with Malta Boat Club. The race, which took place on Mercer Lake on August 7th, saw Andy’s boat mount a thrilling comeback and win by more than 4 seconds over Craftsbury, the 2nd place crew. Riverside finished third. Joining Andy in the quad were Colin Ethridge, Dave Smith, and Shane Madden.
All the finals races can be seen by clicking the link below:
We wish Andy and his teammates great success as they represent the United States at the World Rowing Championships in Chungju, South Korea, August 25- September 1, 2013.
There was intense competition in last Saturday’s Philadelphia Youth Regatta and the Undine Juniors had a very impressive showing. Under the leadership of Coach Jonathan Stephanik, the junior program has focused on promoting learning, teamwork, and training in a fun but competitive environment. The positive outcome of the junior program is reflected in the following highlights from the Youth Regatta:
- Boys J16 Eight- SILVER MEDAL
- Boys J16 Four +- 4th place
- Boys J18 Eight- SILVER MEDAL
- Boys J16 Quad- SILVER MEDAL
- Boys Single Dash- GOLD MEDAL
- Boys Single Dash- BRONZE MEDAL
- Boys J18 Eight Dash- BRONZE MEDAL
For the complete results, go to: http://philadelphiayouthregatta.com/
Congratulations to Coach Jonathan Stephanik and his staff, as well as the 30 junior athletes, for a very successful summer of racing, technical instruction, and teamwork!